List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-user] HUGE quality drop when saving to .png and hosting on web
From:       Ofnuts <ofnuts () gmx ! com>
Date:       2018-11-30 22:30:45

On 11/24/18 7:39 PM, julietmolz wrote:
> Hey all. I've designed a graphic I wanted to use in a forum post and am
> experiencing a huge dip in clarity by the time I get it onto the page.
>
> Created as .xcf, export to .png, upload using tinypic, embedded it in the=
 forum
> with bb code. It's beautiful crystal clear as an .xcf file and as saved .=
png but
> by the time it gets online everything's blurry, so I'm assuming it's the
> uploading that's causing it.
>
> The I've used this process dozens of times and it's always given me perfe=
ctly
> sharp images before. Everything's 300 dpi... no idea what's causing this.
>
> Been a while since I used gimp so there may be something new I'm missing.=
 If you
> have any advice, I'd much appreciate the help

Two things to check:

1) download your image from the web site (right-click, save image...) =

and compare it with the one you uploaded: same type (not a PNG turned =

into a JPG...)? same file size (otherwise it has been recompressed), =

same image size?

2)=A0 check that the image in the web page is exactly the size you set in =

Gimp (make a screen shot, import in Gimp, and put your original on it as =

a new layer and see of they can be made to overlap exactly). If the =

image is set to a different size by HTML directives, your browser will =

rescale it on the fly and this may not be pretty.