List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-user] Scripting, toggles and accessing the application state
From:       Ofnuts <ofnuts () gmx ! com>
Date:       2016-09-30 23:46:44

On 30/09/16 10:56, John Smith wrote:
> Question 1) Can I add a layer mask, make it active, add some noise, blur
> the thing, get a selection from a previously saved alpha channel and all
> that sort of things through scripts. Don't tell me how, I just want to know
> if I can do it.

Yes

> Question 2) Can I access the application state through scripts? I mean is
> it possible to know if a layer mask is already added to the active layer

Yes

> or if the layer palette is visible?

No. Scripts have no direct control on the UI.

> Question 3) As far as I understand it, it is not possible to have toggles
> at the moment. Ctrl z twice will cancel 2 actions instead of undoing and
> redoing the last action. Am I right?

There are parts of the UI that are toggles (for instance, Tab to
show/hide dialogs, or Ctrl-T to show/hide the selection). It is normally
useful to undo several steps in most applications, and I don't remember
ever using an application where Ctrl-Z is a toggle as you describe (but
there s no real standard for the "redo" shortcut)

You'll find there are two languages supported out of the box to write
scripts: the historical script-fu (a LISP dialect),  and Python. Unless
you are already well versed in LISP/Scheme, use Python.