List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-user] Vignetting correction
From:       Steve Kinney <admin () pilobilus ! net>
Date:       2011-12-24 16:45:55

On 12/24/2011 11:29 AM, phanisvara das wrote:

> thanks, that's useful. i've never thought much about this
> vignetting stuff. just was something we did routinely with larger
> prints, because the lenses tended to loose light toward the edges.
>
> the way you describe it, it can be used as a creative tool, not
> just subtle final polishing.

Yup, in some photos where the composition is weak and the eye is not
naturally drawn to the subject, vignetting can save the image.
Other times, a photo that naturally looks like it has already had
the effect applied, can be made to "pop out and say WOW" by pushing
that effect a tiny bit further.

Other times you have to break out the clone and smudge tools and
start removing distracting objects... a last resort in most cases.
Rarely as I use it, thank God and the developers for the perspective
clone tool.  And thank Robert A. Heinlein for teaching me that the
objective is not a "perfectly accurate" image, but rather, to "fool
the eye."

:o)