List:       gimp-user
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-user] Drawing simple shapes.
From:       "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel () graphics-muse ! org>
Date:       2008-04-30 15:35:12

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 09:55 -0400, Jason Cipriani wrote:
> Would you recommend using Krita for image creation? Despite the fact
> that "image authoring" is a point listed in the very first sentence on
> gimp.org's main page, and that "painting" *is* the first bullet point
> category on the GIMP info page, from what you say and what I see GIMP
> does not actually seem to be the right tool for  "producing icons,
> graphical elements of web pages and art for user interface elements"

I'd have to disagree with this, and my most recent book on the GIMP goes
to some effort to show you why.  There are multiple chapters on
graphical elements for web pages and designing user interface elements.
I didn't cover icons because I'm not particularly good at icons and
don't create them very often.  But I've seen some extremely good icons
developed with the GIMP.

Just because there isn't a "one button click box" feature doesn't mean
GIMP can't, or shouldn't, be used for this kind of work.  In fact
because it provides lower level access to processes like creating
primitive shapes (specifically paths), it's ideally suited for this type
of work.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel@graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org