List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Output abstraction (was I18N)..
From:       Robert L Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2001-01-31 2:07:44

   From: Steve Kann <stevek@SteveK.COM>
   Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:56:48 -0500

   This might be in the real of the spooling software (hi Mr. Sweet), but I
   think that (especially for single-user workstations), the optimal
   solution is to start writing to a spool file, and have the lp daemon
   basically sit there and to a "tail -f" on the file and send it to the
   printer.  This way, the printer-driver can do it's business as quickly
   as possible (usually faster than the printer), the printer can get data
   immediately, the driver gets out of Ram as quickly as possible, etc.

CUPS actually does something more or less like this; the output of the
filter (rastertoprinter in the case of gimp-print) goes directly to
the printer, without sitting on disk.  It is a spooling issue, as you
suggest.

   Well, in retrospect, I don't think this really calls for any change to
   Rlk's proposal, but there's my 2c anyways.

My proposal is independent of this.

   P.S.  One of these months, Sourceforge will activate my CVS access, and
   I'll apply the additional roll-fead tweaks I've been waiting on.  With
   these, you can print a whole strip of 4x6's all butt-up against each
   other with only about a .25" at the very beginning and end of the strip.
   Definately makes gimp-print and a epson roll-feed printer into your home
   photo lab, as the epson marketing stuff says..

I'm looking forward to this!

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net