List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Driver development based on Gutenprint
From:       Solomon Peachy <pizza () shaftnet ! org>
Date:       2020-09-23 1:07:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:37:46PM +0800, Aaron Chan wrote:
> I know the inventor of this ink, inkjetmall, has developed a beta
> version of print driver for think special ink set.

(I should say in advance that I am speaking here in a purely personal
 capacity, and not for any of the other Gutenprint developers..)

I'm the one who wrote that code for inkjetmall; regrettably I was not
able to finish what I started and get that functionality properly
integrated into Gutenprint.

> Since his version can only support up to 44" printer, I'm wondering if
> your team would be able to do something similar.

What printer were you intending to use this with?  This is a rather
critical question, because AFAIK that 44" limitation almost certianly
isn't a limitation of the IJM codebase, but rather with the printer
families that Gutenprint itself supports.

> Basically, what we need is a print drive that can runs on MacOS, capable to
> let us modify the 1-D LUT for linear output with the combination of ink and
> paper.

I'm not sure if we will be able to support custom work on MacOS -- None
of the active Gutenprint developers have access to, or experience with,
MacOS systems, and with every release Apple this task more difficult.

Indeed, I don't think we can even generate a MacOS build that functions
on the current MacOS release!

Also, it is my understanding that Apple intends to completely strip out
support for "classic CUPS drivers" in the next MacOS release, so any
efforts we put into supporting MacOS now would likely be wasted.

We have some work being done to support printing under the new "IPP
Printer Application" paradigm but it is still in very early stages.

One possible solution to this would be to take a small linux system
(such as the popular Raspberry Pi), plug the printer into that, and
print from MacOS over the network.

Which leads to another critical question -- what application(s) are you
printing from, and do they work via the standard Apple printing APIs?

> Are you interested into this and how much would you charge for such a
> project?

The fancy LUT mapping proof-of-concept work I did for Injketmall worked
pretty well, but it was mostly tied to Epson printers that spoke a
specific variation of their command language, and I ran into some major
challenges trying to make it more generally applicable to other printer
families.

Consequently, depending on what printer model/family you intend to use,
that LUT work might be easy to port over, or it might be much more
difficult, or it might not even be possible at all.

(Also, If the printer family you wish to use isn't currently supported
by Gutenprint, that would have to be tackled first)

In a general sense, yes, we like to expand Gutenprint's capabilities.
However it's not entirely clear what the technical scope of your request
would entail, even before considering the challenges we face when
working with MacOS.

While I'm generally willing (time permitting) to do custom Gutenprint
hacking on a consulting basis, this may be beyond the scope of what I
can accomplish in a reasonable amount of time.

So let's try and figure out the technical scope of what you need first,
because that exercise will benefit all of us.

Cheers,

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)