List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Printing Black Channel Only Halftone
From:       Robert Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2019-06-14 12:31:36

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 22:44:18 -0700, Craig Smith wrote:
> I downloaded the Gutenprint v5.2.15-pre1 for use on my Mac with High Sierra
> 10.13.6 to print on my Epson Stylus R3000. I am trying to print halftone
> transparencies for screen printing (which have already been halftoned in
> Photoshop) and I want advice on appropriate settings. I want to print only
> from only the Photo Black Channel in which I have installed UV blocking
> ink. I do not want any of other color cartridges to be used. I want the
> highest clarity/resolution possible.

Please download 5.2.15, which was just released.

> I read your manual but I'm still bit confused. The interface looks
> different than in your manual; however, I am able to access the Gutenprint
> features through the Paper and Print Settings: Printer Features Menu. Is
> there one applications that you recommend printing from. I could print
> through Photoshop or QTR's Print Tool.
>
> Should I select Color Model: Grayscale? Will this prevent printer from
> using any of the color ink channels?

Yes and yes.  But you also need to specify Four Color Standard as the
ink type, otherwise it will use the light black also.

> What resolution do you recommend?

Since you've already done a halftone screen, you probably want a very
high resolution, but one with symmetric resolution; I'd suggest
2880x2880 or 1440x1440.

> Do I need to shut off all those CD settings as Im not printing on CD? How?

No.

> What do I select for Interleave Method?

Leave it alone.

> What do I select for dither algorithm?

I would normally suggest Ordered.  For this purpose, you may want to
select Predithered (which assumes you've already done the halftoning);
try both to see what works.

> If I want to test the density should I change this under Output Control 1:
> Black Density?

No, you should use Density under Output Control Extra 1.

> What does Drop Size affect? How do Drop Size Small, Medium and Large Differ?

This printer, like most modern Epson inkjet printers, supports
concurrent use of three different ink drop sizes.  These options let
you set the ratio between the drop sizes.  Leave these alone.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

--Eric Crampton