List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Gutenprint and perhaps gimp for tiling
From:       Robert Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2019-01-28 23:52:48

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:08:36 +0100, Patrick wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am using a on open source CAD software that strictly take the
> printer parameters for the paper sizes
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, inkjet printers receive rows and move the
> paper forward without any future questions. In other hands we can
> theoretically print on rolls after fixing input and output tray
> problems (of course perhaps with a limit somewhere).

In a general sense, yes.  Any halfway modern Epson inkjet (that
supports ESC/P2, at any rate) does.  Gutenprint has a limit of
1200', but that's a soft limit.  The firmware-based limit is higher,
but I'd have to calculate it out.

> I am pretty sure Gimp can open png files. The idea is to export the
> full size and use Gutenprint and Gimp to tile.

Yes.

> Can I go over the printer definitions to support rolls or cut rolls?

Don't understand the question.  Not all printers have roll feed per
se, but you can sort of fake it by pre-cutting to the right size
yourself.  Printers that don't support roll feed don't have built-in
cutters, so when it comes time to eject the paper they have to keep
ejecting until they run out of paper.

> Is there a feature to cut and create multiple outputs without
> manually changing the position and print?

Not sure what you mean by that.

> 					     Is there a support to
> automatically draw the "sewing" lines?

The Gutenprint core doesn't support that, and that's not the right
place for it.  That's something that should be done by the
application, although one could certainly build an image printer
application that does that.  PhotoPrint, which I'm not sure is active
any longer, could do that IIRC.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

--Eric Crampton