List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    [Gimp-print-devel] CentOS & Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files
From:       "Gregory P. Ennis" <PoMec () PoMec ! Net>
Date:       2018-10-22 23:10:08

Everyone,

I have posted this note on the Centos user list and the gimp user list
but was not able to solicit help.  I know this is a development list so
forgive me if this is also the wrong list to post this request.

I am trying to create a 'color' *.pcl file from a full color pdf file
with the use of gimp and the gutenprint gimp plugin.   I have done this
easily to create a black & white *.pcl files, but have not found a way
to create a file that contains the 'color' commands for an HP laser
printer.

I am running Centos 7.5 with all of the latest updates.  gutenprint-
5.2.9-18.el7.x86_64 is the current version in the Centos repositories

While using the gutenprint plugin within gimp I am allowed to select
from a list of HP color printers :

HP Color LaserJet 2500
HP Color LaserJet 4500
HP Color LaserJet 4550
HP Color LaserJet 4600
HP Color LaserJet 5
HP Color LaserJet 5000
HP Color LaserJet 5500
HP Color LaserJet 8550GM

But when I use any of these I am not allowed to select 'Color' on the
output tab.

I have tried to use other drivers like 'HP DesignJet 450C'  and am able
to select color options without a problem and to produce a color *.pcl
file, but the file created obviously does not work on a hp color laser
printer.

I tried installing gutenprint 5.3.1 from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.1/
, and things seem to go well with the installation.  However, I have
little experience with the process, and after the installation and
reboot there were no differences with the use of the HP Color LaserJet
drivers.

I would like to be able to create a color *.pcl file for an HP Laser
printer so that I can download a form on the fly and merge it with
overlaid data; if any of you have suggestions as to how to do get a
color *.pcl file with gimp or even cups I would sure appreciate your
help.

Thank you ahead of time for your help

--
Greg Ennis