List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] P800 Head Offset
From:       "forums () walkerblackwell ! com" <forums () walkerblackwell ! com>
Date:       2018-03-29 22:13:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I have looked at it with loupe. I'll send you scans of the prints Monday when I get \
back to testing lab (ones with offset and ones without). It took me about 20 prints \
and a semi-scientific method to get the correct corrections done but the result was \
perfect alignment. P800 is softweave no? 38xx printer weave? I see offset issues with \
both generations . . .

Best,
Walker

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 6:09 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:47:47 -0400, Walker Blackwell wrote:
> > Dear Gutenprint/Robert.
> >
> > I have found the following head offset numbers to work the best with the P800.
> >
> > K=2
> > LK=0
> > LLK=0
> > C=1
> > LC=1
> > M=2
> > LM=0
> > Y=0
> >
> > It's not a big deal (not very noticeable) for color printing, but for monochrome \
> > printing (or printing with 4 or more shades of grey) it makes a difference. \
> > Without the vertical alignment, dark to light horizontal edges become offset \
> > vertically (lines where there shouldn't be any).
> > I've noticed that even the Epson driver and Epson inkset prints offset \
> > (noticeably) with the Magenta channel when printing targets, etc. It's an ever \
> > site on Epson's part or a printer defect that so far effects all P800s that I've \
> > used equally.
> > I've gone back and confirmed this with the 3880 and 3800 printers as well. I'm \
> > going to have to spend some time figuring out their offsets though because I have \
> > a hunch that they will be different.
>
> This doesn't look right based on what I've seen with other similar
> printers (not to mention that IIRC the P800 uses printer weave; the
> 3880 and 3800 definitely do, and the printer is supposed to correct
> the head offsets).
>
> Have you looked at it carefully under a loupe?
> --
> Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>
>
> ***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
> Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
>
> "Linux doesn't dictate how I work, I dictate how Linux works."
> --Eric Crampton

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]