List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] 5.3 futures and 5.2.13
From:       Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-03-27 13:06:25

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

/../
Hello Robert,

> I'd also like to clean up the release notes by removing mentions of
> particular printer commands (which mean nothing to end users) and
> simply specify what the user-visible improvements are.

I've done that today.

> Anything else?

It looks like we may have to pull the Canon iP100 out, since for some
reason the print data does not conform to the expected style currently
encoded. We can read all the commands, ink definitions, etc., but not
decode the ink data for black or any other colour at the moment. It
could be that the ink definitions are not true, or else a different
data encoding is used. Very strange, since the iP90 and iP110 have no
such problems.
I have some tests I want to perform (pure black image data) after some
2 weeks of reading up on encodings, to see if I can guess something
(even to the point of checking if some variation on run-length
encoding/PackBits is used, or modified Huffman encoding, or perhaps
even delta or LZW encoding). So far we've not seen any other type of
encoding used for the print data, so I am hoping that I will discover
something fairly trivial.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug