List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] driver doesn't work
From:       Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-04-03 14:45:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 11:19 PM, David E Taylor <d-taylor2@northwestern.edu>
wrote:

> The only other posts that I can find on Gimp-print-devel about the HP
> Deskjet 5550 are all concerned with versions prior to 5.2.11.  I don't see
> anything relevant to me, since El Capitan is unique compared to earlier OS

Hello David,
A couple of points to help get us on the same page.
Firstly, when you look at the official Gutenprint page pertaining to OSX
(Ref: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php), presumably where you
downloaded gutenprint, it states specifically that El Capitan (10.11) is
supported. So you should have no trouble installing. If so, then that is
indeed a bug, and a detailed report would be needed to help the developers.

Secondly, unless you see something in the README and NEWS files of the
software relating to changes in the driver, there will be no difference in
the capabilities of the driver for different versions of gutenprint. As the
PCL driver is unmaintained, there have not been changes there for some
years now.

> X systems.  As for my computer, yes, I simply selected "CUPS + Gutenprint
> 5.2.11" for my printer and then tried to print from a variety of
> applications.  All it produced was a smeared streak of color along one
> edge.  I cannot imagine what else to do.  The software gives no settings to
> change, no switches to set, etc.  My printer is

Thirdly, you would need to specify what you mean by "no settings to
change". That clearly is a problem with your printing system, not
gutenprint. If you are using CUPS with the gutenprint driver, you must be
able to find the various settings for media, resolutions (by names, not
simply dpi settings), colour/monochrome, density adjustments, and all the
other settings offered by CUPS as standard, and by gutenprint via CUPS
through the PPD associated with this printer.

connected directly to the Mac by a single USB cable.  My conclusion is that
> Gutenprint itself needs some adjustment.

My suggestions:
(1) find your settings for printing, and fix whatever is preventing you
from getting to them (e.g., if you still have old HP software there or
something else instead of gutenprint). I am not a MacOSX user, so I can't
offer you any advice here. You should probably consult MacOSX forums/groups
for standard advice and help with printer settings, both form the OS and
from applications.
(2) choose monochrome to debug first, instead of colour.
(3) set the debug level of CUPS in the admin web GUI so that you can check
what filters are being run and what CUPS is finally sending to gutenprint,
and what gutenprint does with it. You might have to set the debug log size
to something a lot bigger than the default (100 million bytes might be
sufficient).
(4) In one of the previous posts relating to this printer model, it was
asked by a developer if the problem reported was affecting all resolutions,
or just one or several. So that should be the next step.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug