List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Paper type problems with Canon MAXIFY MB5350
From:       Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-02-09 0:14:59

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Andre Bubel <ml@apb.name> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when printing on a Canon MAXIFY MB5350 with Gutenprint 5.2.11 on Arch
> Linux and CUPS, the printer doesn't recognize the selected paper size.

Hi Andre,
Thanks for the report.
>From what I understand, these printers only have a cassette option for
the media input.
However, the cassette has two trays in it, automatically selected by
the driver based on media type and size.
One tray is fine for large paper sizes (and envelopes), the other is
used for smaller (mostly photo) media sizes.
In the gutenprint driver I've programmed the use of the tray based on
a particular media size cutoff with an exception for envelopes.
This seems to have worked for the person who was testing the device at
the time, I forget the model.

> I've selected A4 as the papersize in CUPS, and also have it set in the
> printer for the tray I'm using. When printing to tray 1, the printer
> complains, that the print job has a different paper type than available
> (in German: Andere/Standardpapier, translation: Other/Standard paper). I
> can than manually override the selection on the printer and it prints
> fine after that.

This is interesting, from the driver under windows there was no way
for the user to set the tray, only "cassette" was available.
Can you give me the specifications of these trays you are selecting?
Minimum and Maximum size for each (which one accepts larger paper).
What are you manually overriding?

> When printing to the second tray the printer complains, that the tray
> doesn't support the format at all and it aborts the job after that.

I surmise that the "second tray" is the smaller one and the printer
does not accept such a large paper size for it.

> Am I doing something wrong, or is this some quirk with the experimental
> driver?

I don't have enough information to tell what is done here by the
driver, by you on the physical printer, and what is expected by the
printer.
>From gutenprint, and from my understanding of the windows driver, you
don't have to do anything: if you use a particular paper size, the
printer driver selects the appropriate tray for that paper size. In
gutenprint, because of the programming of a cutoff, it is possible I
suppose to have a mismatch between the driver and the printer
expectation: i.e., the driver still uses a particular tray while the
printer firmware has already cut off and expects a different tray.
The gutenprint driver is programmed that the user can override the
default driver tray selection by explicity selecting tray 1 or tray 2
(upper or lower, I forget which, it should be the same for all
printers and is written in the CUPS interface button to make it clear,
since some pritners user 1/2 which others use upper/lower in the
Windows driver), so you can test that.
Please let me know more information for clarification, based on what I
wrote above.
Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug