List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Guttenprint 5.2.11 on Canon PIXMA ip4500
From:       Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-02-04 2:32:58

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Loudon, Marc <loudonm@purdue.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was extremely unnerved to find that my Canon PIXMA iP4500 no longer worked
> when I upgraded my Mac OS to El Capitan (OS10.11.3). Therefore I tried
> Gutenprint 5.2.11 and it allowed me to print from this printer.

Hello,
I take it from your message that you were not using gutenprint before this.

> Unfortunately, I am finding that the color renderings are not at all
> accurate. To be sure, I changed all ink cartridges to brand new ones, and
> the problem persisted.  I have attached a CMYK test pattern to show the
> color distortion. The pdf is produced in Adobe Illustrator and printed on
> the PIXMA iP4500 to give the result which I scanned as a JPEG.

I have a iP4500 (a fine machine indeed), so I can confirm that there
is no color calibration for this printer.
If you want good colors, especially for photos, you will have to go
wit the Canon driver, or calibrate it yourself.
Unfortunately there is none yet done for most Canon printers. The
support for the matrices for doing calibration/tuning is there, but no
data to populate the matrices, except for the iP4200.

> If there is a way to fix this I would be interested in knowing about it.
> Otherwise, I hope you may find this useful in further evolving Gutenprint.

For the moment, I'll save your images and see if I can do a rough
calibration matrix this month based on the differences your images
show.
In the meantime, ff you have time to experiment with the density
settings in CUPS, that could help your printing.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug