List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] brother mfc-j870dw
From:       upscope <upscope () nwi ! net>
Date:       2014-05-27 21:27:16

On Friday, May 09, 2014 07:56:25 PM Ryan Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that this is one of the many printers you are missing from your
> list. Sadly it is the printer I just bought. I am having troubling
> getting the brother cupswrapper and/or LPR drivers working in Fedora
> 20 (they were written for Fedora 12 or something).
>
> I was wondering how difficult it would be to help you guys get the
> information you need to support this printer? Presumably having the
> hardware is the hardest part. Can I get some data for you to help this
> process along? Would a driver for a similar brother printer be able
> to work for this one? any clue which one that might be?
>
> Best,
> -rhl
Are you using the Brothers programs. They are proprietary that is why
most of the Brothers printers are not included.

I have been using the cups wrapper and and the other two necessary
drivers (MFC J6710DW) for a year with no problem. I've used them on
three version of the openSUSE distribution. I think the drivers are
basically the same as the ones your printer needs.

Initial problem I found was:

the /etc/udev/rules.d/ did not have a product ID in therule for my
printer. It was also missing in the installation guide. libsane

Go to the link below and select Linux, Select correct OS version and
make sure you have the correct versions.

Should have been:

Code:
----------
# Brother MFC-J6710DW
ATTR{idVendor}=="04f9", ATTR{idProduct}=="0263", MODE="0664",
GROUP="lp", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
----------
Not sure why it being missing effected printing but it did.

Code:
  http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj870dw_us_eu_as
---------
Hope this will give you some ideas.

Russ
--
openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop x86_64|
Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|