List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Updated OS X Blacklist Driver
From:       Robert Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2014-04-20 2:18:13

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:04:00 -0500, Matt Broughton wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2014, at 9:50 AM, Robert Krawitz <rlk@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> The previous prerelease (5.2.10-pre2) had what we think is a working
>> USB backend, but we haven't gotten a lot of response (other than one
>> person who didn't pick up on having to use our backend).  Perhaps we
>> should release 5.2.10, warn as best as we can about it, and be
>> prepared to quickly release 5.2.11 to suppress the old backend.  The
>> problem is that anyone who tries to automatically update will still
>> use the generic backend, so they'll have to delete and recreate the
>> queue (unless our installer/updater can fix it?)
>
> I know there was an enormous amount of work that went into getting
> to the current pre2 release.  What follows may well be impolitic to
> be sent to this mailing list.  I do not write it or intend it to be
> mean spirited in any way, shape, or form. I know how much effort it
> can take to promote and try to support a new release.
>
> I think it is going to require some extra affirmative action to get
> the new software tested in the wild.  The sourceforge stats indicate
> that there have only been 293 Mac downloads of the pre2 release.
> That is not very many if the stats are correct.  The site sats show
> over 1700 downloads for Gutenprint 5.2.9 just in the past week.
> Gutenprint 5.2.8 had over 8000 downloads since its posting.  Again,
> this is assuming that Sourceforge stats are correct.  If 5.2.9 is
> getting more downloads per week than 5.2.10 pre2 has over the past
> month, I think people just aren't aware that it exists.
>
> I notice that there has been no update of any of the Gutenprint web pages since July, 2011.
> <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/>
> <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php>
> <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php>
>
> Also, there has not been anything on the Gimp-Print ANNOUNCE mailing
> list since July, 2011 or mention of the pre releases on any Mac news
> site such as MacInTouch.com.  Any "helpers" on the Apple Discussion
> Boards point to the Mac Gutenprint page when it would appear that
> the Gutenprint drivers might help.  That just gets 5.2.9 downloaded.
>
> More specifically as to Mac testers, Gernot was involved in a thread
> on the Apple Discussion Board that resulted in getting a lot of the
> printer information.  I haven't seen any follow up on that thread to
> let anyone know there is software that should now work and asking
> for volunteers to test it.  For any that have downloaded the
> package, there are no instructions as to how to properly add a
> printer to use the new backend.

I think there are valid comments.  I certainly know that I should have
announced it to freshmeat and updated the web site.

(I did, BTW, announce it to gimp-print-announce.)
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congrats MIT Engineers 6 straight men's hoops tourney

--Eric Crampton