List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Printer Drivers for printers not on the list
From:       Solomon Peachy <pizza () shaftnet ! org>
Date:       2014-04-15 19:44:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:24:08AM -0700, Steven Chan wrote:
> Unfortunately the output looks identical. I'm hoping I did something wrong
> here..

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you; I thought I'd already
responded.

> I didn't seem to have an sRGB.icm lying around so I used
> sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_black_scaled.icc from
> http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter

I'm not sure if that was the right thing to use, but in the end, I don't
think it would have mattered.

> Also, I used the default Ubuntu 12.04.4 image viewer (Eye of GNOME I
> believe) to command the print.

IIRC Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have an ICC-managed printing stack, so I don't
think it's Ubuntu specifically screwing things up here.

I'm guessing we're going to need to implement some sort of color curve
for the Mitsubishi printers inside of Gutenprint.  Right now it's
linear, and that's clearly no good.  The complication is figuring out
what the curve should be, and that's going to require a fair amount of
trial and error, preferably with a coloriometer.

At this point I'm not sure where to go next.  I'm trying to get my hands
on a D70/D707/K60, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Oh, one other question -- When you printed, did you select matte finish?
If you did, can you repeat it without it and tell me if the printer
generated a glossy print?

Thanks,

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^