List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Problem with Selphy CP800
From:       Jonathan Ernst <jonathan () ernstfamily ! ch>
Date:       2011-10-13 9:53:49

Hello again,

2011/10/12 Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Ernst <jonathan@ernstfamily.ch>
> wrote:
[...]
>> although I tried every combination of crop, extend and resize and the
>> default paper size is exactly the same as the one I bought
>> (postcard/4x6in/100*148in).
>>
>> Any idea ?
>
> Probably the margins and/or offsets for the CP-800 need to be adjusted. Do
> you have measurements for how much "edge" appears on all sides when you try
> to print a marginless photo? These printers are only supposed to print
> marginless, so whatever is being set right now needs adjusting to the
> correct papersize.
> If you give me the measurements I will see whether I can find out the
> culprint in the code.

Ok I made more tests, here are the results :

There is a cups option to print borderless. This option is not visible
in the print dialog I have in Eye of GNOME (but is available in
Firefox for example under "Printer features common" in advanced tab)
and even if I set it in Cups it doesn't print borderless and I have
the following white frame around the picture

11mm top
4mm bottom
2.5mm left and right
(in the image settings tab of the print dialog it says there will be a
7 mm top and 7 mm bottom margin)

However the borderless cups option is honoured by Picasa under Wine
and the printer now prints borderless.

So :

1) I don't know why the GNOME print dialog doesn't show the borderless
option although other options are there (those options are in English
although the options in cups are translated in French btw)
2) I think the driver should set borderless as default option as it's
the primary use for this printer
3) I think the "Image type" option should be set to Photo as it's the
primary use for this printer

Let me know if I can give you any information that might help this
printer being supported better (in the meantime I've added the usb id
to usb.ids database ;-))

Best regards.