List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Epson Stylus DX-4400 escputil not working
From:       Robert Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2009-05-20 0:02:31

   Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 20:37:32 +0200 (CEST)
   From: gryffus@hkfree.org
   Cc: gimp-print-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

   >    Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:21:17 +0200 (CEST)
   >    From: gryffus@hkfree.org
   >
   >    Hi folks!
   >
   >    I have bought an Epson Stylus DX-4400 printer and ran out of ink.
   >    Now i want to determine what ink i miss, but when i try "escputil -s -r
   >    /dev/usblp0"
   >    i get this:
   >
   >    Escputil version 5.1.98.2, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
   >    Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil
   > -l'
   >    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
   >    under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.
   >
   >    Cannot open /dev/usblp0 read/write: Device or resource busy
   >
   >    I have no jobs in printer queue...
   >
   >    What can i do?
   >
   > Even though it's not the problem here, I would advise upgrading to the
   > latest version of Gutenprint (5.2.3).  5.1.98.2 was a beta release of
   > 5.2.
   >
   > You might try killing your CUPS daemon; it might have something that
   > has a channel to the printer.  You might also try using a tool like
   > fuser to find the offending process.

   Ok. so i tried to upgrade gutenprint and to kill cupsd but none of these
   worked :-(
   I had a conversation with a developer of libinklevel and he told me that
   printers go to some "sleep" state when run out of ink. Could this be my
   case? The printer is blinking red and wont print anything... If yes, how
   can i awake my printer to get ink levels?
   fuser and lsof gave me no informations :-(

They do, but they usually won't fail to open in this situation.

Try removing any jobs from your printer queue and rebooting the system
to make sure nothing's trying to open it.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton