List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] escputil needs to be adapted to CUPS
From:       Robert L Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2007-08-28 11:05:20

   From: Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>
   Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:45:22 +0100

   On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 15:00 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
   > It would be great if escputil could also be called with the printer
   > being specified based on make and model, for example by a call with the
   > CUPS URI on the command line.

Actually, it can be, via the -m flag (although it's not the CUPS URI
in that case, but the driver or printer name).  The problem is that
some of the subcommands require direct access to the printer -- in
particular the status, identify, ink, and extended ink commands.

   It would be even better if it could be made to work as a CUPS
   'COMMAND' filter, and respond to a CUPS-COMMAND file by setting the
   CUPS device attributes for ink level.

   But is that too optimistic?

Dunno -- I don't know just what's involved here.