List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Fwd: Re:  I have an update problem.
From:       Gene Heskett <gene.heskett () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-07-04 2:21:12

On Tuesday 03 July 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 02 July 2007, Todd Denniston wrote:
>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>> be

>>> Gene,
>>>
>>> Upgrade to Fedora 7, where gutenprint is properly packaged.
>>>
>>> In Fedora 6, gutenprint was in Extras not Core -- and so had to be made
>>> to co-exist with the older gimp-print package. (The discussion of why it
>>> was this way has already been had, many times over, on
>>> fedora-devel-list.)
>>>
>>> Tim.
>>> */
>>>
>>> Tim, I don't care to do that just yet, I've had sufficient trouble
>>> putting F7 on my lappy to not relish that thought just yet.  This is FC6
>>> now, and will probably remain that way till F8 is out.
>>>
>>> The primary mistake in the gimp packaging for FC6 is that you hard coded
>>> the deps to absolutely require gimp-print, when in fact gimp has _no_
>>> dependencies on either gimp-print, or gutenprint.  Both are, for gimp,
>>> simply plugins that enable printing.  Gimp has no deps on either, and can
>>> do everything available in its menu's without either package being
>>> installed.
>>
>>looking at the spec for gimp-2.2.15-3.fc6.src.rpm (released 28 June 2007),
>>there appears in it:
>>
>>%if 0%{?fedora}%{?rhel} == 0 || 0%{?fedora} >= 7 || 0%{?rhel} >= 6
>>%define _enable_gutenprint 0%{!?_without_gutenprint:1}
>>%else
>>%define _enable_gutenprint 0%{?_with_gutenprint:1}
>>%endif
>>
>>* Wed Jun 13 2007 Nils Philippsen <nphilipp@redhat.com> - 2:2.2.15-2
>>- require gutenprint-plugin or gimp-print-plugin (#243593)
>>                           ^^^^^^^^^
>>* Tue Apr 24 2007 Nils Philippsen <nphilipp@redhat.com> - 2:2.2.14-1
>>- version 2.2.14
>>- don't BuildRequire gimp-print/gutenprint anymore
>>* Mon Mar 26 2007 Nils Philippsen <nphilipp@redhat.com> - 2:2.2.13-3
>>- use gutenprint per default for current development/future distribution
>>   versions (Fedora >= 7, RHEL >= 6)
>>

>>Something looks a little screwy with that If to me, for some reason it
>> looks like it is doing `%define _enable_gutenprint 0 ` if "fedora >=7"
>>
>>If you really wanted to you could just brute force (IIRC)
>>%define _enable_gutenprint 1
>>after that if in the spec, and build gimp yourself.
>>Of course then you get to wait for it to build.
>
>Someone suggested I go get the gutenprint src rpm from the F7 repo, and I
> have now done so, and installed it.  Looking at the .spec file it appears
> it *should* work if all the stuff in my local build of 5.10.0-6 is there.
>
>But, in /usr/src/redhat, an rpmbuild -bb SPECS/gutenprint.spec returned
> this: [root@coyote redhat]# rpmbuild -bb SPECS/gutenprint.spec
>error: Failed build dependencies:
>        gettext-devel is needed by gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-3.i386
>        gimp-devel is needed by gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-3.i386
>        gtk2-devel is needed by gutenprint-5.0.0.99.1-3.i386
>
>I was able to find and install the latter 2, but the first one,
> [...]

Replying to my own message, it failed, and left the system in an unknown
state.  Gotta love it.  So, I've stopped amanda for tonight, and will swap
some drives around to put a faster drive in the hda position, and probably
put f7's install dvd in and reboot sometime tomorrow.  This 200GB I'm using
now is a dawg with only a leg and a half at 29mb/sec, a 120GB that's 3 years
older is doing 70+mb/sec on the end of cable 0.  I have a 160GB laying here
too that I think I'll check.  And I just checked the 300GB I'm using for
backups and its doing 75mb/sec.

All because I wanted to use the newer gimp.  dumb and dumber, that's me...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)