List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    [Gimp-print-devel] Improving the Postscript driver -- we have a problem
From:       Robert L Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-27 18:16:28

It occurs to me that we may have an architectural problem with
improving the Postscript family driver: until we read the PPD file, we
don't know what options the file contains, but the driver is expected
to provide a list of available options based on only the driver name.
For example, the list of available options for the Epson Stylus Photo
R800 is static, even if the list of active options (and the values
those options can take on) might vary depending upon other settings
(i. e. stp_describe_parameter() might return something different
depending upon what options are set to what values).

That's fine for a driver that's completely built into Gutenprint, like
the Epson printers.  For Postscript printers it isn't enough, because
those options come from the PPD file, which can't be specified until
the application (e. g. the Print plugin) has retrieved the option
list.

I'm not sure what we can do about this that would be compatible with
the current option system.  I don't think we want to make incompatible
changes at this late a date, so we might not be able to fix this until
5.1.  I'd love to be proven wrong, and for us to be able to fix this
in 5.0 (maybe not 5.0.0, but perhaps 5.0.1).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net