List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Fixes for the Debian CVS build
From:       Christian Meder <chris () onestepahead ! de>
Date:       2005-01-30 22:39:35

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 16:03 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Christian Meder <chris@onestepahead.de> writes:
>
> > in order to build the Debian packages from CVS I had to apply the
> > following changes (diff against current CVS):
>
> Thanks for the patch.  However, I'm not going to be able to apply much
> of it.  One thing you might not have considered is that the Debian
> packages are not intended to be built directly from CVS; only building
> from a release tarball is supported, so you need to "make dist" to get
> something you can then make a package from.

Actually I read the README.building in the debian dir but I supposed a
autogen.sh followed by a Debian build should produce a working build. At
least the doc/README.maintaining doesn't mention that a make dist is
necessary after autogen.sh. A autogen.sh, configure in a different dir
and make shouldn't bomb out, should it ?

> > * autogen.sh warns if openjade 1.3 is missing so I added it to the
> > Debian build-depends
>
> This is not correct.  The documentation will be present in the
> release, and so will not need building.

Ok. Understood.

> > * the autogen.sh script doesn't copy the scripts but symlinks them which
> > is an unrepresentable change for the Debian build system
>
> This change is OK, but if you "make dist", the symlinks will not be
> present in the tarball.  I've committed this change.
>
> > * when building in debian/build the SGML sources are symlinked more than
> > once, add the force option
>
> This change is OK.  It also needed doing for
> doc/developer/Makefile.am.  I've committed this change.

Ok.

> > * when building in debian/build the path of stpui_public_h_sources in
> > the Makefile of gutenprintui2 is wrong, fix it by making the path
> > relative
>
> The path is relative to $(top_srcdir).  Why is this wrong?
>
> (You can't know the path to the source tree in advance, so I can't
> make this change as-is.)

The Makefile.am does:

( cd $(srcdir) && $(GLIB_MKENUMS) \
                        --fhead "#include <gutenprintui2/gutenprintui.h>" \
                        --fprod "\n/* enumerations from \"@filename@\" */" \
                        --vhead "GType\n@enum_name@_get_type (void)\n{\n  static \
                GType etype = 0;\n  if (etype == 0) {\n    static const G@Type@Value \
                values[] = {" \
                        --vprod "      { @VALUENAME@, \"@VALUENAME@\", \
                \"@valuenick@\" }," \
                        --vtail "      { 0, NULL, NULL }\n    };\n    etype = \
g_@type@_register_static (\"@EnumName@\", values);\n  }\n  return etype;\n}\n" \  \
$(stpui_public_h_sources) ) > $@

which only works if srcdir and topsrcdir is .

In my case it produced (debian/build/src/gutenprintui2) :

( cd ../../../../src/gutenprintui2 && $(GLIB_MKENUMS) \
                        --fhead "#include <gutenprintui2/gutenprintui.h>" \
                        --fprod "\n/* enumerations from \"@filename@\" */" \
                        --vhead "GType\n@enum_name@_get_type (void)\n{\n  static \
                GType etype = 0;\n  if (etype == 0) {\n    static const G@Type@Value \
                values[] = {" \
                        --vprod "      { @VALUENAME@, \"@VALUENAME@\", \
                \"@valuenick@\" }," \
                        --vtail "      { 0, NULL, NULL }\n    };\n    etype = \
                g_@type@_register_static (\"@EnumName@\", values);\n  }\n  return \
                etype;\n}\n" \
                ../../../../include/gutenprintui2/gutenprintui.h ... ) > $@

which is obviously broken. Again a previous "make dist" would've
probably fixed it.

> > * when building in debian/build the xmli18n-tmp.h file generation in the
> > src/main Makefile is generated in the build dir but searched by the
> > po-build in the src/main dir, fix it by generating the file always in
> > the src/main dir
>
> It is a bug to generate a file in the source tree, apart from in the
> "dist" rules.  This is because it's supposed to work e.g. exported
> read-only over NFS, or with multiple concurrent build trees, so
> modification during a build is not allowed.
>
> The correct fix here is to modify po/POTFILES.in, but this is always
> relative to $(top_srcdir)/po.  Since xmli18n.h is distributed in the
> release tarball, it's only an issue building from CVS in a separate
> build directory.  I think it's easiest just to "make dist" and build
> from that (that's what's supported).

Ok. Then I guess doc/README.maintaining should be updated to mention
make dist.

> Many thanks for all your work!

Many thanks for _your_ work. I'm only nitpicking and testing unsupported
configurations ;-)

BTW any plans to upload beta 3 to Debian proper ? I guess the Debian
user base would be quite happy to beta test Gutenprint.

			Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: chris@onestepahead.de

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
by rolling up your sleeves.

                (Eihei Dogen Zenji)