List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Problems on OS X 10.2 after de-installing Gimp
From:       Robert L Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2005-01-02 1:26:15

   From: Alexander Schneider <verygo@gmx.net>
   Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:55:41 +0100

   i guess i uninstalled Gimp-Print, because the problem came up after
   installing it - not after uninstalling it. As i said, the only symptom i
   have, is that it takes several minutes until the print interface comes
   up and another minutes to execute the print job. All the while the
   program is like frozen (the mouse icon turns to the weehl that indicates
   the program is busy). I discovered that this problem does not occur
   consistently. Sometimes restarting the Mac (Power Book 12" G4) solves
   the problem. But then again it occurs with the same program. The problem
   is also inconsistent across all programs. With one program printing
   might work all right. With another not. At other times itmay be reverse.
   As i learning, on a Mac, each program somehow requires its own print
   settings, i.e. there is no universal settings i may apply to all
   simultaneously. Maybe that explaing the unregular pattern or the problem
   occuring.

   Please could someone help, why
   - deinstalling Gimp-Print was to no avail in getting back to normal?

Probably because it's hard to see how Gimp-Print is the source of the
problem to begin with.  Tyler will need to help you -- this is a
Mac-specific problem -- but the Gimp-Print installer on the Macintosh
installs a filter and a bunch of PPD files; to the best of my
knowledge it doesn't actually change anything already on disk.

   - why reinstalling the print driver for HL-1430 from CD-ROM had no
   effect on the problem?

   How do i reset all print settings - so i may reinstall HL-1430 driver
   again and see if the problem dissapears?
   Alex

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
   here is what happened, in sequence:

       1. I use Brother HL-1430 driver and print on only this printer.

       2. I had to print on another printer and turned to Gimp-Print to get
   the
       drivers. I installed:
       - Gimp-Print 4.2.7
       - ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1

       3. I did my printing on the new printer. After that i de-installed
       everything again.

   Just out of curiosity, why did you uninstall it?

       4. The problem is, whatever application i print from, it takes 2.30
       minutes for the print interface to come up and after i make  selections
       and start the print job it takes another 2 minutes, until the process
       clears. I re-installed HL-1430 driver, but to no avail.

       Today i am living with a 5 minute break for each print job. Can anybody
       help? Obviously Gimp-Print left its marks in a bad way.

   Not necessarily; there could be other things going wrong.  Tyler or
   somebody else, could you assist Alex?