List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Newcomer to Linux printing ....
From:       Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-09-01 14:47:39

Am 01.09.04, 07:41 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

>    Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:04:01 +0200 (CEST)
>    From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@gmx.de>

>    I am not so clear about what You refere to as monolithic solution.
>    Speaking about the way how color managment goes today many experts
>    would agree, lacking the right tools to come up with a difference.
>    Key word is here calculating paper, ink, printer profiles for later
>    combination. The difficulty here is to solve equations with many
>    unknown variables. Many of these variables are not measured at
>    all. They are only summariced in the whole expression included in
>    the profile. At least further improvements to the ICC standard can
>    be done later ;) after doing step one and implementing an CMS in
>    gimp-print.  I am shure it would be hard to deliver so many
>    profiles (for all possible combinations) to users. At least
>    creation one by one would be a hard job, needing an farm of
>    spectrophotometers ;)
>
> You mention "many unknown variables", "many of [which] are not
> measured at all"?  Are you implying that e. g. linearization curves
> that are part of the driver would be part of that information?

All variables goes into calculation, but I think most are not even
mentioned. For instance humidity. It is known to have an certain influence
on printing. But I dont know anybody who has an parameter available to set
it in an application about humidity.
I can understand, this is realy strange to people who like to know what
they do. But knowing everything would be like predicting the movement and
sizes of clouds. There are chances to do but what will be the price?

The point is, can somebody come with something better? I dont know.

For measured linearisation curves, You have allways the chance to change
them. But they may give an good starting point. Once it is proven for
gimp-prints needs You can rely more or less on them. Let Your eye decide.

regards

Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + imaging development / panoramas
                                + color management