List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] Using curves with the CUPS driver
From:       Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-06-28 17:20:20

Am 24.06.04, 22:03 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

>    Therefore I suggest to have a reasonable amount of predefined
>    settings in the PPD.  Such a predefined setting may contain several
>    individual option settings like the *ColorModel option in the
>    GimpPrint PPDs.
>
>    If an expert-user needs fine-tuning he can modify the values
>    directly in /etc/cups/ppd/<queue>.ppd

Color is an very difficult thing to understand. I am often very happy to
find so much sliders and options in gimp-print to get a bit closer to what
I need.
Every professional application needs these small and big differencing. Ok,
some going more and more into the profilers. But, we have no popular under
linux.

>    For this there should be a documentation which values are possible
>    and there may be a nice graphical tool which lets the expert-user
>    change the values in the PPD.
>
> I'd really like a way to handle curves.  Unfortunately, curves tend to
> be quite large.

Confirm, it is the only way to effectively correct prints from outside the
industry ICC standard. Additionally, color measurement devices will remain
costly, even if some printer manufacturers allready build them in.
CinePaints ICC conform printouts are mostly recogniced by professionals.
But I remember my first tester beeing an amateur.

Of course splitting in simple, advanced and professional settings is an
good point for future guis.

regards
Kai-Uwe