List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] libgimpprintui API and CMS
From:       Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-25 9:06:22

Am 24.05.04, 21:28 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

> The KDE and GNOME folks may find this kind of thing interesting.  For
> example, if KDE wants to offer Kimp-Print as an alternate (richer)
> printing KPart that isn't limited by what PPD files can describe, but
> can take advantage of Gimp-Print's functionality, they could write
> their libkimpprint and do the same kind of thing.
>
> What do folks think?

The small stpui layer is an good idea. I like to suggest one step more.
Can the gimpprintui library get an additional layer, packaging all gui
functions in its own stpui_i functions. This would help KDE and CinePaint
later exchanging the gkt2 stuff easily against qt, gtk1 or maybe fltk, mac
aqua toolkits.
Gimp-print climped up to system level. Hope the same will happen for
gimpprintui, with toolkit independence as an key feature to reach this.

I am in doubt how color management is best placed in my activities. (This
question is related to the above one at least for me.)  Three possible
ways I can think of:

o leave CMS in CinePaint and take care about our own libgimpprintui (bad)
o integrate it in gimp-print (nice and maybe easy)
o integrate it in CUPS as an filter (much work but eventually very
  flexible. I think this needs an PPD, handling ICC profile names.)

Hope finding answeres during this summer.

regards
Kai-Uwe

PS: during Linuxtag in Karlsruhe/Germany, from 23 - 26 June 2004, I will
    show an full CMS featured CinePaint at the Open Productivity booth.
    <http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/events/LinuxTag2004/projects.php3>
    Starting from camera calibration with raw photo input, till ICC color
    corrected printing of 8/16-bit integer and maybe 32-bit float images.