List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-print-devel] epson 2200 edge sensor
From:       Roy Harrington <roy () harrington ! com>
Date:       2004-01-14 6:03:08

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 09:36  PM, Tyler Blessing wrote:

> from the help forum

>>> By: janew ( Jane Walker )
>>> RE: gimp print has stopped working mac os 10.
>>> 2004-01-08 09:15
>>>
>>> Well, that would explain why it worked correctly on the scrap paper
>>> that is the same size and weight as the good paper I use. I WAS
>>> adding images to a sheet that I had already put some images on.
>>> However, I have added images in this way MANY times and not had this
>>> problem before. The paper I use is expensive, so I try not to waste
>>> any when I am "tweaking" images to get them the best they can be. I
>>> will try again today with a new sheet. It's all incomprehensible
>>> magic to me...............
>>

>> By: rlk ( Robert Krawitz )
>> RE: gimp print has stopped working mac os 10.
>> 2004-01-08 18:21
>>
>> It's possible that the Epson driver sends a command that tells the
>> printer to override its sensor.
>>
>> The way I handle the problem (and I do this also to save money/paper
>> -- I often print thumbnails to test the software) is to start
>> printing from the lower right hand corner, rather than from the top
>> left. This way the sensor won't see what's going on, or it will
>> always see something to the right of what it's already printed, which
>> should avoid triggering it.
>
> This is a curious thing indeed. Apparently any Epson-provided
> documentation on this printer does not cover this feature. I wonder,
> has anyone ever printed with an epson-provided driver in a similar
> situation and observed the data stream from driver to printer?

I don't know about the 2200 but my much older 7500 does indeed have an
optical sensor that
is used in figuring out where the paper is.  If I print multiple times
on the same sheet I'm careful
about starting at the bottom of the page, because if there's enough
dark ink at the top, the printer
misaligns the top of page.

Roy

-