List:       gimp-print-devel
Subject:    [Gimp-print-devel] New channel architecture
From:       Robert L Krawitz <rlk () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-26 1:13:06

This is now back in the repository after passing all testing.  I only
ran the weave test for one pass (that should be completely unaffected
anyway).  The Olympus test in testpattern failed, because the Olympus
driver evidently wants the input to be of the right aspect ratio.

This change actually saved about 700 lines of code, although if we
take out the amount of data ripped out of the Epson ink database, it
actually reverses slightly.

This is only the first stage of this work; we still need to actually
implement ink limiting and other ink substitution algorithms.
However, the quality actually seems to be a bit better, even on the
single dot size EX, which surprised me (I expect to see some
improvement on 6-color variable drop size printers, since it will be
able to use the smallest dark dots and the transition will be
independent of the resolution).

Please beat hard on this.  I'd like to do 4.3.15 in the near future to
get this out in the field.

Yes, I know that the Gimp plugin looks even uglier (with even more
controls).  This needs to get cleaned up, but that's not my first
concern right now.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@alum.mit.edu>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net