List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [gimp-devel] Here we go again with KDE
From:       Torsten Rahn <rahn () astrophysik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       1999-05-31 22:50:49

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 10:25:03AM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 May 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> > >Nick, I _know_ that KDE people are extremely annoying. They rejected my
> >
> > Thanks for the flowers ... ;-)
>
> Well...
>
> > Yepp, in fact that´s why I made the comment at the top of this mail!
> > An example: Which fool would expect to find a menu-item called ´Dialogs´
> > under ´File´ ?????
>
> where else should it be? (thats a real question, I found no good answer).

In the main-menu of course! ´Where else should it be?´ - Darn! Why
didn´t
you put it into the about-box to make it even *harder* to find it?

> > And why is it that a menu-item that is used probably so often does *not*
> > appear in the main-menu?
> Frequently used items can easily be bound to keys (and actually are
> pre-bound).

so why don´t we go back to the command line then completely???? ;-)

> > Hey, wake up: My screen is *wider* than long so why-o-why do you try to
> > make me climb all the way down through all the menu-levels (of the
> > ´context-menu´ e.g.)
> It might be less pleasing, but horizontal menus take much more space than
> vertical ones ;)

but there´s not much space vertically. As I said -- Ooops -- I must
correct
myself -- I wanted to say:

> > Hey, wake up: My screen is *wider* than high so why-o-why do you try to

> > me too, but this has already been proposed a year ago during the Kimp-
> > related discussion. So why isn´t it already there? Is nobody out there
> > who would like to work on this? Or are there other political,
> > ideological, license-related (*yawn*) or whatever reasons against this
> > approach?
> As always, we could need help. Seperating the core from the ui is a
> process which takes very long. Itzs not that people are not working on it,
> but people work on many things, and this is a big task.

Sorry, not in this life -- I´m painting and coordinating for KDE right
now.
and this needs much work!

> > because of the tearable menus ...) but one of Gimp´s problems are these
> > very long menus so tear-off-menus wouldn´t be a good idea ...
> Esp. with the filters (which I view as the main problem). Tearing off the

Yes!

Torsten,

kde-artist-team 	torsten@kde.org