List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [gimp-devel] SMP Gimp.
From:       Jay Cox <jaycox () earthlink ! net>
Date:       1998-09-22 8:29:46

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> Hi. I havn't seen much on SMP support in GIMP (Yes, I've seen the SMP
> plugins).. Has robust SMP support been considered? I think that it could
> easily be added in 1.1 so that when 2.0 rolls around, it can suppot SMP
> even better by growing off current GIMP SMP expirence.

I plan on adding parallel processing support into the gimp core.  The system I
will be developing this on is a 20+ processor box so I was planning on just
leaving a couple of processors idle for background tasks rather than doing any
kind of system load heuristics.

Mostly I will be working on paralellizing the pixel_region_process calls (each
tile potentially gets it's own thread), but I will leave hooks to speed up other
types of algorithms.

I won't be able to start this for a couple months, so if you or anyone else wants
this put in sooner please feel free to code it yourself.

jay cox
jaycox@earthlink.net

PS: SMP is dead! Long live NUMA!