List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] Using GIMP in the textile industry
From:       Tobias Ellinghaus <houz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2019-06-04 12:31:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 28. Mai 2019, 13:30:08 CEST schrieb Simon Budig:

[...]

> One thing which came up though (and which we already have discussed in
> the past IIRC) is the need for a better support for multiple documents
> in single window mode. The software they're using currently is using a
> classic Windows Multiple Documents Interface (MDI) and they do in fact
> make use of it. I tried to explain why I personally consider GIMPs
> multiple window interface as quite good, but the not-so-great support
> for multiple desktops in windows (and the bad window management) made
> this a tough point to sell...  :)
>
> I see two options here and I think we've been discussing these in the
> past.
>   a) create multiple side-by-side image views within the single window
>      mode. We could allow for tiling the image area into multiple
>      notebooks, each containing its own set of images, allowing for
>      Drag'n'Drop between them etc. ppp. My gut feeling is that this
>      should be quite doable. It might be a bit tricky to control the
>      keyboard focus there and to make it clear to the user, which of the
>      images will be affected by the next keystroke.
>
>   b) (not necessary XOR) it might be feasible to allow for a kind of
>      hybrid single/multiple window mode, where one can drag out
> notebook-tabs into their own image view that then is managed by the wind=
ow
>      manager. So we would have one dedicated main window containing the
>      toolbox and the notebook-area with image views as well as separate
>      windows containing image views (or a notebook of image views?).

What about this:

The tabs in single image mode are not just for one image each but contain
"workspaces". By default an image is opened in a new workspace containing =
single image, so it's the same we currently have. It would however be poss=
ible
to split the image area to show more than one image or view. I somewhat li=
ke
the quick and easy way that's done in blender, however, one would need to
think about what to do when the last view of an image is closed. That way =
each
tab could contain a arbitrarily complex setup of image views with the
toolboxen staying the same for all of them. Having rip-off windows might b=
nice, but I personally don't feel the need, and having both a single image
window mixed with some floating windows might be confusing.

I'm also CC'ing the gui list as that seems to be a better place for this p=
art
of the discussion.

[...]

> Bye,