List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] plug-ins/file-jpeg : Segmentation fault
From:       Elle Stone <ellestone () ninedegreesbelow ! com>
Date:       2017-01-29 15:31:21

On 01/29/2017 07:51 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 01/28/2017 08:28:34 PM, Elle Stone wrote:

>> FWIW, here is how I build babl/GEGL/GIMP from git:
>> http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/build-gimp-in-prefix-for-artists.html
>> What prefix are you installing babl/GEGL/GIMP from git in?
>
> I have my own ebuilds and they install into /usr
>>
>> One thing that sometimes helps is to completely uninstall all versions
>> of babl/GEGL/GIMP (even the portage versions). Then in the prefix for
>> babl/GEGL/GIMP from git, delete and recreate the install folder, so
>> there's nothing left behind to interfere with a fresh install. And also
>> do "git clean -xdf" to get the build folders completely clean. And then
>> start installing from scratch.
>
> I've done that but the problem persists
>
>> The only other thing that comes to mind is whether your libraries for
>> jpeg, png, and tiff are all too old.
>
> I have media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.5.1
> media-libs/libpng-1.2.57
> media-libs/tiff-4.0.7

Just for reference, here's what I have:

media-libs/tiff-4.0.7
media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.5.0
media-libs/openjpeg-2.1.2
media-libs/libpng-1.6.27

I'm not sure whether GIMP uses lib-jpeg-turbo or openjpeg. But maybe
installing openjpeg would help.

As we both have the same version of tiff installed, outdated libraries
probably aren't the only problem, or else you would be able to export a
tiff.

Your libpng is too old - I'm a bit surprised that recently pulled
GIMP-2.9 builds at all given the older version of libpng.

> Do you have a hint on how to debug my problem?

Any problem that results specifically from an ebuild, no, I'm clueless.
You could try building in a prefix as per my "how to build" article and
see if you still have a problem exporting files.

Did you try using the "--enable-debug=yes" option when running
autogen.sh, and then running GIMP under gdb?

I saw your stack trace but it didn't seem helpful, well, imho they often
aren't. Beyond that, no, my apologies, I'm not very experienced at
debugging code.

Oh, wait, looking at your stack trace again, it seems a bit odd that
there is all this stuff about tiff when you are trying to output a jpeg.
I've seen problems where there is interference between a GIMP plug-in
for opening a raw file and the GIMP code for opening a tiff
(http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Darktable-plug-in-in-GIMP-td47681.html#a47692).

Elle