List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    [Gimp-developer] 'Unknown file type'
From:       ravendawson <forums () gimpusers ! com>
Date:       2010-11-09 6:06:55

> I had been using GIMP 2.6.10 in XP Pro SP2. I have loaded pspi.exe.  I needed
> to try a for me, essential *.8bf plugin 'Altostorm Rectilinear Panorama Pro
> v1.3 which works in Photoshop CS2 and Paint Shop Pro 9.02. I set the
> Preferences folder and as instructed, restarted GIMP.
> On the restart I got "Are you sure you want to completely remove Altostorm
> Rectilinear Panorama Pro v1.3 and all its components?" - NO. and GIMP loaded.
> But now I cannot open any image files.
> I get "Opening 'path' failed". "Unknown file type"
> ie. PNG, PSD, even JPG which all opened before.
> Any suggestions?

Hey...this happened to me before! my system used to open these type of files, and one \
day all of a sudden it doesn't recognize them anymore. I haven't done anything except \
for the fact that I downloaded some program from limewire and my computer started \
acting weird. I've read that one cause for that message to come out is corrupted file \
associations in the registry, one cause of which are viruses. This lead me to suspect \
it's that file I downloaded from limewire so I scanned to find my computer was \
already infected.

So I suggest you scan your computer first, and if there's any virus, get rid of it. \
If not, then you can still check whether you have corrupted file associations in the \
registry and fix them. You can read this article on how to open <a \
href="http://www.pcperformancetools.com/how-to-repair-open-unknown-file-type-extensions.html">unknown \
file types</a> for further guidance.

--
ravendawson (via gimpusers.com)