List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    [Gimp-developer]  LAB in Info Window
From:       jcupitt () gmail ! com
Date:       2010-10-22 8:03:47

> On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 23:23 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>> If someone starts experimenting with this, I suggest making littlecms
>> one of potentially backends, so that we can compile against the native
>> color management library of a platform when available.

The native CMS is often horribly unreliable and incomplete. The one
that ships with XP, for example, is almost unusable. I think this
component has been replaced now, but the new version is still missing
support for more recent profiles (hope I have that right). Gimp would
need to make at least three Windows binaries: LCMs, XP and Vista+.
They'd produce subtly different results in hard to explain ways.

Photoshop gets around this by having it's own cms and using that on
all platforms. This helps make save files work between platforms too.
I think it would be quite reasonable for GIMP to do the same.

John