List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] 2.6 roadmap
From:       Micahel Grosberg <preacher_mg () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-10-26 12:37:20

Hi, I'ts been a while since I've last written here.
First of all congrats for getting 2.4 out the door.
I'm not a developer, just a humble graphic artist & semi-professional UI designer.

I think making a roadmap is a very important step in the development of Gimp.
But I suggest before that, Gimp needs a mission statement. If you've happened to read \
the talkback on /. to the release announcement, you may have noticed most people \
compared Gimp to Photoshop and complaining on its shortcomings.  I think a clear \
message as to the direction Gimp development will take in the future is important. \
The choice is simple: Professional tool for the Graphic artist, or image editor for \
the home user and amateur photographer. Mozilla suite - or Firefox.

I believe Gimp's target audience should be the home user and amateur photographer, \
and future development in this direction should take precedence over features for the \
professional artist. Gimp is already a default install in many distros. Many more \
people will benefit from a simple, easy to use tool that will enable them to create \
web art and modify pictures than they will from a complex app crammed full of \
incomprehensible functions. But this must be written down and displayed on the \
website so everyone can see and understand just what is Gimp and where it is going.

Back to the subject of the roadmap.
As well as a guide for future development, a roadmap can be used to recruit potential \
developers by creating a vision for the future of Gimp which will inspire them to \
join the effort. I believe the internals work is important and necessary, but it does \
not inspire. Perhaps a roadmap should be drawn for the next two or three releases, \
leading up to Gimp 3. If the vision is attractive enough (and accompanied by detailed \
mockups and design documents), more people will want to join in and will agree to do \
some grunt work, knowing what all the hard work will eventually lead to.

As for user-visible changes in version 2.6, I think an important goal should be to \
get Gimp to work well with the desktop environment. I'm talking about the multiple \
taskbar buttons and related subjects. I'm writing this on Ubuntu 7.10 and Gimp is \
showing some strange window behaviours here. I know similar thigs are happening in \
the Windows port. If there's anything most users will appreciate it's this.

Michael