List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg quality factor
From:       gg () catking ! net
Date:       2007-07-12 21:29:01

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:21:33 +0200,
<saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com> wrote:

> No. If you want to specify something other than a user-specified
> default for an acceptable level of quality while editing in the GIMP
> (for example, overriding it with an image-specific value), that is
> when you should use Save As.

Sorry but this is the mistake I have already pointed out , you dont know
the meaning of the word default.

If there is an image specific value you do not need a default.
"overriding" a default with an image-specified value is a contradiction.

@Peter

The key issue, it seems, is that a would-be "high-end" tool should not be
telling me it knows better than I (the high-end user) how to do what I
need to do.

GIMP IS A TOOL, NOT A TUTORIAL.

Take an analogy:

A builder needs to nail a piece of wood as a guide but all the nails he
has to hand are too big. To get round the problem he takes a couple of
screws he has in his pocket and hammers them in to tack the guide into
place.

Well we all know you should NEVER hammer in a screw but it gets the job
done. As a high-end builder he uses the tools and materials to hand to get
the job done with the minimum of wasted time.

Now imagine he'd just bought the new "high-end" Gimp Hammer, the high-end
solution for high-end users.

When he comes to hit his nail he realises the his new high-end hammer has
a specially crafted end that slips off screw heads because the guy who
designed it thinks you should NEVER work this way and wants to force his
work flow to the one and only _correct_ way to do this job.

Well I hope the glazier has not been to the site yet because that high-end
hammer is going out of the nearest high-end window.

Now can we please stop all this "I know best" dicatorial design non-sense?
Especially since the current state of all gimp installations on the planet
(except for a handful of us who have build snv in that last few days)
clearly shows that we dont know best.

Let's credit our hyperthetical high-end user with a grain of sense and
suspect he may actually know what he is doing. Give him a powerful,
flexible tool that does not try to tell him how to do his job.

Don't get in his way if he decides, for reasons that may be prefectly
valid in the context of what he is doing, that he wants to save a jpeg.

/gg