List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] 2.4 release date
From:       gg () catking ! net
Date:       2007-04-15 8:35:29

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:19:06 +0200, Hal V. Engel <hvengel@astound.net>
wrote:

> On Saturday 14 April 2007 08:04, Chris Puttick wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Forgive me if I have missed this information, but can someone give an
>> estimate for the release of 2.4? We are trying to move to open source
>> throughout the organisation, but the graphics team are solidly stuck to
>> Adobe Photoshop and Gimp 2.4 seems the most likely candidate to replace
>> it.
>> Unless the list thinks that 2.4 would not be a candidate to replace
>> Photoshop?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Chris

Release dates don't really exist for Gimp. I asked this same question last
September and got the same polite silence.

Due to the nature of Gimp development the new release happens when the
work is done, rather than setting a target date and trying to get it out
of the door on time. Development cycles tend to be rather long in general
so you should probably follow Hal's comments and determine what you need
and what can or can't be done with Gimp.

One key thing to bear in mind when doing this is that Gimp does not aim to
be a free clone of Photoshop. Some things are done differently and while
the basic tasks are often similar the feature sets are different and
things are often done differently. There are some things you can do with
PS that you can't do with Gimp and vice versa.

As he said you really need one of your graphics team to determine any
important tasks that you cant manage to do with gimp and ask. It may
simply be that you have not discovered how to do the task or it may add
impetus to finish a feature in development.

HTH.
gg