List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] requesting a change in the defaults
From:       jernej () ena ! si
Date:       2006-09-21 18:02:02

On Thursday, September 21, 2006, 19:37:23, Roel Schroeven wrote:

> OTOH, touchpads and pointing sticks on laptops don't have scroll wheels.

All laptops with touchpads I've seen offer one or more of the following:
- scrollwheel emulation by dragging at the edge of touchpad (some touchpads
  even have a slightly separated area for this, although this is completely
  a software [driver] setting)
- button with up/down keys, which emulates wheel
- button, which you hold and drag on the touchpad to emulate wheel

Laptops with "joystick" (or whatever that red thingy in the middle of
keyboard is called) often (but not always) have a button that makes the
joystick behave as a mouse wheel.

> They often even don't feature middle mouse buttons, though I have never
> understood exactly why. And IIRC nowadays more laptops are sold than
> desktops.

I've yet to see a laptop with middle button, too.

> Of course, people can just attach a proper mouse to their laptop if/when
> they use it for serious graphical work. Which is a good idea anyway; a
> touchpad is way too imprecise.

If your laptop has built-in blutooth adapter, I suggest you get a blutooth
mouse, this way you'll be able to use it without having to attach it to
anything.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

It's better to retire too soon than too late.
       -- Mosher's Law