List:       gimp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp Perl/Server
From:       Seth Burgess <seth.burgess () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-11-22 3:18:22

Hi Stu,

The behavior you are seeing is what happens if no Perl Server is
running.  The perl server is invoked automatically if you call a
script on the commandline; it makes its own instance of gimp, and
passes commandline parameters to get the perl server running.  At the
completion of the script, it all exits gimp and the perl server.

If you run the Perl Server from the Xtns->Perl->Server menu from a
running gimp, it should instead connect to the already running perl
server and use your already open version of gimp.  This should-do
closer to what you want.

If you want to start an instance of gimp and leave a perl server
running, you'll need to use the batch parameter to gimp to start it:

gimp-2.2 --no-interface -b '(extension-perl-server 0 2 0)'

It should result in something like:

1101093297: server version 2 started
1101093297: acception connections on /tmp/gimp-perl-serv-uid-1000/gimp-perl-serv

After this, any attempts to run a script from a commandline should
first talk on the already-running server interface.

Happy GIMPing,

Seth
(currently you'll have difficulties compiling gimp-perl CVS HEAD for
2.2; but a compilation for 2.0 should still work ok, even with 2.2.
Will look into fixing this, and updating deprecated scripts, as time
permits)