List:       ggi-develop
Subject:    Re: ggi_malloc and friends
From:       Andreas Beck <becka () uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       2000-10-28 0:47:25

> I'm hunting down ggi_malloc and friends and replacing it with malloc. I'm
> not sure what to do in some cases where two malloc's take place in the
> same routine. I suppose I could just put ggiPanic if I'm not sure since
> that was the way it was before. Que est-ce que tu pense?

No - try to fix it "right" if at all possible. That is: cleanly abort any
routine, freeing everything it allocated before and giving an error code.

If this is "very very very very" difficult in some place, you may want to
put a ggiPanic there for now, but mark it with a "BIG FIXME !!!!" ... :-).

The idea is, that LibGGI stuff should be 1. suitable for long running tasks
(like GUI servers), which means it may not leak any memory or other
ressources (fds etc) and 2. Fault tolerant, even in weird cases, which means
it should bail out of any call cleanly, if ressources can't get allocated
or similar.

CU, Andy

--
= Andreas Beck                    |  Email :  <becka@ggi-project.org>        =