List:       ggi-develop
Subject:    Re: KGI + ATI video problem
From:       Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo () laas ! fr>
Date:       1998-12-29 13:30:40

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998, Moses DeJong wrote:
> Let me say that another way. The cursor would flash on screen at
> some interval and at some position (lets say 20 chars up and 20 chars
> to the right of the lower left hand corner of the screen). During the
> times that it was not getting displayed in its normal position it would
> show up as a '_' char in the lower left hand part of the screen.

That 'problem' is harmless. It is due to a bad habit that apparently
spread out of some good old drivers (like the VGA) to 'hide' the cursor
by sending it offscreen. It does not work on all hardware, and some day,
the driver programmer will have to open up its manual to find the needed
registers to set to _really_ deactivate the cursor. (With the VGA driver
it might have been true that it was much faster to send it offscreen than
to really hide it.)
(The cursor is surely sent to x,y=0xff,0xff but some hardware may
 'correct' that ill setting. Nothing to worry about.)

Frankly, I think I did that also in my driver... Lazyness surely...

Rodolphe