List:       ggi-develop
Subject:    RE: [ggi-develop] Device naming
From:       "Brian S. Julin" <bri () tull ! umassp ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-05 21:32:45

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Peter Ekberg wrote:
> Then, there's no problem with saying "joy1", "joy2", etc. If libgii
> does not need to have joy1 be the same across runs, the first
> discovered joystick will be "joy1". The only requirement is that
> this is remembered should the joystick disappear and then
> Reappear *during* the lifetime of the input target...

Right.

> What lead me to believe that the short name needed to be stable across
> runs, was the fact the libgic stores the short name in its
> configuration (at least the snazzymgr demo does this).

That is more or less a hack on the part of gic.

> With this bit of info in hand, what *should* an app store in its
> config file to find the same device for the next run?

LibGII's current API currently offers no such capability, that's
the core of your problem.  Per-target mapping could be implemented,
or if you have the time, a scheme for LibGII as a whole could be
implemented which would provide a way to access target-specific
IDs and info about the device, which is what I was referring to when
I mentioned the mailing list discussion from some time ago.
The mailing list discussion is IIRC hyperlinked in the GII TODO
file (grep for "hash").

--
Brian S. Julin

**************** Support the ASCII Ribbon Campaign *****************