List:       ggi-develop
Subject:    Re: ideas ggi_pixel expansion?
From:       Andreas Beck <becka () uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       2002-05-23 14:30:05

"Brian S. Julin" <bri@tull.umassp.edu> wrote:
> I agree that it would take a lot of work... all the more reason
> to put it off until we really need it.

Ack. Not much sense to do something that 99.9% of all applications also
don't care about.

I happen to _have_ an application (medical imaging) that would be glad
about having more resolution, but actually on common monitors it won't
make much of a difference anyway. There is a reason why X-ray films are
viewed on expensive backlight panels in rather dark rooms.

It's squeezing out the last few bits of the human perceptory system.

> P.S. What *are* they thinking, btw?  More colors than 8:8:8 is pretty
> useless.

I see a very limited use for medical imaging, as the eye can go slightly
below 8 bit resolution, but actually there are better ways to solve
that problem (contrast windows, artificial colours).

CU, Andy

--
Andreas Beck             |  Email :  <becka@uni-duesseldorf.de>