List:       gfs-devel
Subject:    [gfs-devel] GFS requirements for clustered Volume Manager.
From:       Ramachandra Pai <linuxram () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 17:09:30

Hi Everybody,
	I am consolidating a list of requirements for EVMS to
support clustered volume management.  One of
the areas that I am particularly interested
in is finding out what support clustered filesystems
need from EVMS in order to be able to work with EVMS.
I have already talked to the GPFS
guys here in IBM.  They told me that they would like
to see the following things implemented in EVMS so
that GPFS could work with EVMS:

	1. Global volume device naming -
              i.e. volumes should have the same name
              on all the nodes
	2.  Persistant names - i.e. the name of a
              volume should not change
              for the life of the volume, unless
              specifically changed by the user.
	3. Large I/O path - i.e. large ( >= 256 KB)
           raw I/O requests actually reach the device
           driver without being broken up into smaller

           requests.
	4. Scalability - i.e. support large
                               clusters
           (support at least 1024 nodes