List:       gfs-devel
Subject:    Re: [gfs-devel] Stability of linux-2.4.5?
From:       Franco Broi <franco () robres ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-14 2:45:33

We've been running 2.4.5-ac9 for about a week on 4 dual CPU Alphas, although
the kernel is not running SMP due to compilation problems.  We do lots
of heavy disk I/O and have 1TB of GFS disk on these machines.  So far
it all looks quite stable except for some large file problems ( > 4GB makes
Homer sleep).

I'm just in the process of testing 2.4.5aa3 and this kernel compiles correctly
for SMP Alpha and looks to be OK for large files. I've just got a local GFS
system on a 36GB disk but it's using locking as per the other machines and
I've written several 10GB files without any problems. If this machine holds
up I'll be using this kernel for the main production machines soon.