List:       gfs-devel
Subject:    Re: An apparent side-effect of using the memexpd daemon for locking
From:       Mike Tilstra <conrad () sistina ! com>
Date:       2000-10-14 14:39:10

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 05:25:22PM -0700, brent@polyserve.com wrote:
> Regarding the GFS unmount hang problem and your question: "You're using a
> RedHat distribution right?" (full e-mail text quoted below), you are quite
> correct.

ok. The reason I point this out is that it seems that RedHat is (as far as I
know) the only distribution that shutsdown the network.  Most other
distributions just let it hang until the cpu is halted.

> Perhaps longer term, GFS could be improved to treat this condition a bit
> more solidly?  Clearly we can (indeed, must!) change the scripts.  But
> I wonder if it wouldn't be a good thing to still try to make the GFS unmount
> logic continue in some semi-reasonable fashion in the face of network
> failures, completing the unmount operation to the extent possible.
> Let me guess: much easier said than done, right?

This is a good idea.  Matter a fact, you should probably go and put this into
our bugtracking system as a feature request.  I'm not sure how much work it
would be, I would have to go look to see how things are done before making
that guess.

> Thanks very much for the workaround suggestion.
No problem.

--
Mike Tilstra                          conrad@sistina.com
I'll listen to logic and reason when it comes out on CD.