List:       gfs-devel
Subject:    Re: How can i change the size of existing gfs partition?
From:       Mike Tilstra <tilstra () borg ! umn ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-04 17:47:54

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 12:35:33PM -0500, Jonny B. wrote:
> > I needed to make a linux cluster storage for a rack of server (in first
> > place two) with a external box storage (raid 5).
> > Well, I made this with a gfs ip based locks and I actually need grown the
> > raid 5, is posible that the partition created
> > could resize? Any suggestion ? Any tool?
> >
> > I have tried with de hexedit, but the only thing to change is
> > magic-number...and if I make this...the partition dies!!!
>
> Firstly, how did you grow the RAID 5?  Did you just slam newer/larger
> disks into the RAID enclosure?  If so, what happened to all the meta-data
> that was on those disks?
>
> Anyway, resizing a GFS file system comes in two stages.  First, growing
> the Pool (i.e. the collection of disks that form a logical volume upon
> which GFS sits).  Second, growing the file system to make use of the new
> space.
>
> Currently I am finishing up on the Pool resizing utilities.  The file
> system itself will come next.  However, I have not yet considered what to
> do with IP based locking systems - the situation you are in.  I will
> probably start on the file system resizing within the next couple of
> weeks and I will be considering such problems then.

As long as the server has more locks than you are using, it should be no
problem at all.  If it has fewer, you will need to stop the server and
restart it with a larger lock space.

Of course, if you are using AntimatterAnteater Update8 or higher, this is
no concern. The lock server should be running in sparse mode, which means
you have about 4 billion locks.

--
Mike Tilstra                          tilstra@borg.umn.edu
All the good ones are taken.