List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: config to use gnome-keyring
From:       Jethro Tull <heavytull () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2018-06-27 15:45:18

On -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Jethro Tull <heavytull@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > gnome-keyring through secret-tool works with a label and pairs of attributes
> > and values to store a password. I'm already using it to make email account
> > passwords accessible by msmtp. Setting up getmail to use gnome-keyring would
> > create a new keyring and the content would be the same as for the previous
> > keyring. It would be more convenient that getmail also uses the label and the
> > corresponding pair to retrieve a password from gnome-keyring.
>
> getmail doesn't use a new keyring; it uses the default keyring and asks for a
> secret by user, server name, and protocol.  If your keyring has the password
> stored under those attributes, it should work.
>
> Charles
> --
it seems actually i don't have the right python libs to run getmail with
"--store-password-in-gnome-keyring", so i'm trying to run password_command
but it seems i need to know more the way it runs the program specified with
the rest of the parameters. I tried the following:
password_command = ("/usr/bin/secret-tool", "lookup", "host",
"pop-mail.outlook.com", "user", "user12345409@outlook.com") and i get the following:

$ getmail -r gmail_POP
getmail version 5.6
Copyright (C) 1998-2012 Charles Cazabon.  Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimplePOP3SSLRetriever:user12345409@outlook.com@pop-mail.outlook.com:995:
External password program "/usr/bin/secret-tool" wrote to stderr: secret-tool: must \
                specfy attributes and values in pairs
usage: secret-tool store --label='label' attribute value ...
       secret-tool lookup attribute value ...
       secret-tool clear attribute value ...
       secret-tool search [--all] [--details] attribute value ...gmail_POP: operation \
error (External password program error (exited 2))

i also tried putting the attribute value pairs, e.g. "host
pop-mail.outlook.com" in separate fields, or all in just one, nothing worked.