List:       getmail
Subject:    Re: List MAPI Folders
From:       Charles Cazabon <search-web-for-address () pyropus ! ca>
Date:       2018-05-22 14:42:25

Mark Moore <mark.moore@notlimited.com> wrote:

> I have set mailboxes = ALL, so I would expect it to grab all emails from all
> folders.

Yes, it should.  Is getmail failing to pull messages from a folder that you
know exists in the IMAP account?

> But, it downloads all emails to the "*/mnt/d/Survival Flight/mail/**new*"
> folder.

That has nothing to do with the folders getmail pulls mail from.  You've
configured getmail to deliver everything to the "mail" Maildir:

> [destination]
> type = Maildir
> path = /mnt/d/Survival Flight/mail/

... so that's exactly what it's doing.  The "new" subdir is just how Maildir
works (there are also "tmp" and "cur" subdirs, you can look up how it works if
you're interested).

> It does not grab the full set of existing folders (for example Sent).

If Sent exists and getmail is not retrieving messages from that folder, that
is a problem (maybe in getmail, maybe in the server).  But if you actually
mean "it's not delivering mail from the Sent folder to a destination Maildir
named Sent", that's because you've configured it not to do that.

If you want to deliver messages retrieved from different folders to different
local Maildirs etc, there are two common ways to do that:

    1) Use a sorting/filtering MDA like maildrop (old Unix-heads will say
    procmail, but I don't recommend that for new users), and have getmail use
    that MDA to deliver the retrieved mail.

    2) Have multiple getmailrc files, each configured to pull from a specific
    set of folders (i.e. not "ALL"), and configured to deliver to a specific
    Maildir/etc.  You can then easily invoke getmail with multiple rc files
    specified.

If you're looking for "just magically recreate the remote mail structure
locally without having to configure anything", then getmail isn't the tool for
the job.  There are IMAP-syncing tools that can do that.

Charles